Roasted Tomato Soup Great for Winter
Originally from 101 Cookbooks.
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Rub down one or two baking sheets with olive oil (or use parchment paper).
Arrange chopped tomatoes, capsicum, onion and garlic onto trays - skin side down. Lightly salt both trays.
Bake for 45 mins (tomatoes should collapse and onions brown). Turn any onions if they get brown. Remove garlic if too brown.
Make up the stock.
- Place all roasted veggies into a large bowl and puree with a hand blender.
- Alternatively, blend batches at a a time in a traditional blender with some of the stock.
Leave as chunky or smooth as you like. Mix up all ingredients along with the rest of the stock and the paprika.
Instead of the smoked paprika (which I didn’t have), I used a half teaspoon of hot chilli powder, which gave the soup a good kick.
Also, once the roasted veggies are out of the oven and you’re ready to blend, pop some bread into the oven to warm up so you can have nice hot bread along with the soup. I used some Turkish bread, slightly buttered.
- 5 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red capsicum, quartered
- 3 onions, quartered
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- sea salt
- 2 - 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika